Tuesday, August 9, 2011

note from me madre

Couple of quick updates, I haven't felt up to blogging much so I am napping and Mommy is typing super quick for me. Clearly the post will lack all my usually wittiness, so try to be patient with her.

Test on the 3rd was a bust. The problem with the type of test they did was that it was only good to see what was happening right then. As in while we were there. This would work, had reflux been a problem at that precise moment. In reality, its a problem about an hour or more after eating is done. So about 2 oz into the barium bottle Kellan refused to eat any more so they had me just feed him so that his tummy was full. After we got done they watched on the screen for like 5 minutes, then sent us home. Kellan seemed to feel okay while at the hospital, but he usually is okay at first. Sometimes, like yesterday, he is in pain and refluxing/spitting up immediately. Most of the time however, it takes a little while. From what we have heard this is pretty typical.

On the drive home he go the "wet" hiccups. Got a little fussy while we were running an errand, then at Micah's swimming practice Kellan threw up. We are not calling it spit up because that would be a misnomer, when it has any real force when it comes out its vomit. Pure and simple. This splattered the floor, its not spit up.

Unfortunately, while this is all clearly reflux he didn't do any of it while being monitored, so the test results were "mild" reflux. This couldn't be further from the truth. We go back to the family practice doctor on the 16th and will do so armed with information. My concern is that the last time we spoke (prior to the test) she commented that Kellan just may be a "burpy" baby and implied that we may just need to put up with this. While there may be babies out there with a tendency to be gassy or burp a lot I do not feel Kellan qualifies as one. His symptoms are classic severe reflux, I don't need a test to confirm it when we are living it.

I think when we see the doctor and discuss how things have been she will be open to trying more. Right now we are researching treatment options so that we can walk in with a plan and know what we're talking about so that the doctor can quickly hear us out and take action. I want to have ideas under my belt so that when we get in there we don't waste a second of those short appointment times. We need some other form of treatment as the 1 ml twice daily of Zantac 75mg/5ml is not working well anymore. Zantac is apparently very weight sensitive, and Kel has gained a lot of weight since that script was first given, thus rendering this dose fairly useless. In the long run though we want something that will yield more consistent control.

To top off all the fun we are having with that, poor lil dude is cutting his first tooth I think. He chews everything he can reach ... including the toys on his swing ...


1 comment:

  1. That was so cute when that was happenning

    oh and. . .

    GET KELLAN WRITTING

    ReplyDelete

Got something you wanna tell me? I'd love to hear it! Leave me a comment and my parents will read it to me so I know what you had to say!